There are skills in a business development person that you have to screen them for beyond experience, to make sure you get a great performer. Here are the six most important attributes that you need to look for:
1. Empathy – sincere interest in helping government clients succeed and ability to build trust
2. Healthy Ego and Confidence – ability to handle rejection well
3. Drive – ambition to succeed
4. Superior Skill Set – high productivity, knowledge of the rules on how to market to the government, and FIELD (not only telephone) sales skills
5. Training – capture and proposal development, strategic selling, and other training
6. Market Knowledge – understanding of the specific market for your products and services to expand influence
This will help you hire superstar business development and capture management staff.